Jul 14, 2008

Jin Sho

I thought it was important to write this post in English basically because people that will really be able to enjoy this tip are here in Palo Alto.

I was walking around California Avenue today when I decided to have lunch at my favorite Japanese restaurant, [Jin Sho]. I've first known this place with Moira, recommended by a Japanese girl. From the outside it looks pretty simple, there are no fancy signs nor any Japanese style. But as you open the door, its such a nice place and atmosphere that reminds me a lot of restaurants in Japan.

I went there to have lunch on my Anniversary Day with Felipe, and he as well enjoyed it a lot. Fish quality is amazing, not to mention how waiters are friendly.

So, I was there by myself today and decided to sit by the counter and have the sushi lunch as always. I realized the sushimen were speaking in Japanese, which I always consider a good sign. When I was having my misoshiru (soy soup) one of them asked me:

"What is yor favorite fish?"

And I said salmon. Ok, I know I could have said something fancy, but I just couldn't think of anything better and I do love salmon.

He prepared my sushi lunch and if you think he just added and extra salmon slice, you really don't know anything about the Japanese culture. He got a beautiful and giant salmon filet (3 feet), cut the best part of it and placed on top of a nice shaped rice roll. Just for me. He gave me the plate and I said, for his surprise, "Itadakimasu".

Later he asked me, in Japanese, if I was from Japan, and I replied that my grandmother was. And that's it. I paid for my lunch - and this is something else about Jin Sho, it is not expensive at all! - and left saying "Arigatogosaimasu".

And I'm sure next time I'll sit by the counter and he'll remember I'm the girl that spoke an awful Japanese with him.

1 comment:

Marilia said...

Ele devia estar com saudade de casa e viu uma linda gueixinha a sua frente.
Que gostoso!
beijos,